Monday, August 31, 2009

Green Batteries?

Is anything that you use once and then throw into a landfill for all of time green? I was sitting on my couch last night, watching TV, and staring at the 4 remotes on my coffee table (yes four- I've never been able to figure out that whole "program your cable remote to do everything" thing). Now, rechargeable batteries have been around for ages, but let's get real, they just don't last nearly as long as our guilty pleasure; disposables!

Fuji has a new solution...sort of. They are branding it as EnviroMAX, but is it really all that better for the environment? True, it is made free of mercury, cadmium, and some other particularly nasty substances, but you still use it and throw it away. Touting that "there is nothing inside a Fuji EnviroMAX that will harm the environment if it is disposed through normal waste systems" is great, but isn't the whole point of going green and environmentally responsible to reduce the amount and volume of things that we "dispose of?" Less garbage, less landfills, less environmental impact.

I admit, it's a valiant attempt, and I will probably buy them as opposed to my standard copper tops, but let's call it what it really is. Kudos to Fuji for making it less bad to use disposables, but what about other alternatives? I for one am truly excited by companies like Powercast Corporation and the Wireless Power Consortium, organizations that are looking to eliminate batteries all together. Wireless power for smaller devices? No batteries for my four remotes? Nikola Tesla would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment